Please send all inquiries to:

Band Membership Clerk - Marjorie Robert.


The membership clerk administers the membership program for the Red Rock Indian Band. The membership clerk assists community members in applying for status, renewing status cards, applying and renewing gas cards and updating records regarding marriage, divorce and death.

As of May 2018, the Red Rock Indian Band consists of 1887 members. There are approximately 323 residents residing on reserve of which, approximately 265 are Red Rock Band Members. 1622 members live off-reserve.


Band Members: Please ensure our wonderful membership clerk, Marjorie Robert, has your correct address and mailing information. Please call 807-887-2510 or email Marjorie Robert to confirm or update address.


Marjorie Robert                                                        
P.O. Box 1030
Nipigon, Ontario
P0T 2J0
Tel: (807) 887-2510
Fax: (807) 887-3184
Toll Free: 1-877-887-2510



9am-12pm Monday to Friday

The membership office is currently issuing the older version of Certificate of Indian Status (CIS) paper laminated card. Please note there are new requirements when renewing and/or applying for your CIS card.

Individuals 16 years and older are required to present 2 pieces of valid identification. These are:

  • Birth Certificate

  • Baptism Certificate (for those 65yrs or older)

  • Canadian or United States Passport (counts as 2 ID’s)

  • Driver’s License (provincial, territorial, state)

  • Employee ID card (w/photo)

  • Firearm’s License

  • Provincial health card

  • Student ID (w/photo)

  • CIS card (if not expired more than 6 months)

If you do not have 2 pieces of ID, you must bring in 1 piece of valid ID and the membership clerk can sign a guarantor form, provided she has known you for a minimum of 2 years.

Other acceptable Guarantors

  • Chief/Council/IRA

  • Dentist/Medical doctor or Chiropractor

  • Judge, magistrate, police officer

  • Lawyer

  • Notary public Minister (authorized to perform Marriages)

  • Principal

  • Pharmacist

  • Professional Accountant

  • Social Worker

  • Veterinarian

For those 15 years and younger, they are required to have 1 piece of valid ID from a parent or legal guardian and 1 piece from the child. If the legal guardian is applying for the child, a copy of the legal guardianship order is mandatory. Cards are to remain in the possession of the individual they are issued to until such time as the card expires or is deemed void. If a minor is subject to a joint custody agreement, the status card that they are issued must be transferred between parents each time custody changes as per the joint custody agreement.

If you do not have the mandatory ID to obtain a status card please call: 1-800-567-9604. You will request from the call center, a Temporary Confirmation of Registration document. They will ask you a series of questions to confirm your identity and they will mail you a Temporary Confirmation of Registration document to you. This document will state your registration number and can be used in place of a status card to access benefits and services.

There is no fee for a CIS (status card) for Red Rock Band members. There is a $50.00 administration fee for NON members and they are required to give a minimum of 24 hours’ notice to the membership clerk, otherwise a card may not be issued to the NON band member. This is also dependent on the availability of status cards.

For band members living off reserve who are unable to travel on reserve to obtain their CIS laminate card, they may be able to obtain their card at their nearest First Nation. It is strongly recommended that band members contact the First Nation prior to the visit in order to confirm their policy, fees involved and office hours for issuing a Certificate of Indian Status card as these can vary. They also require notice prior to your visit.

Frequency of Issuance and Renewal

A registered Indian may only possess one (1) CIS at any given time and a maximum of two (2) CIS shall be issued to a registered Indian within any 12 month period. A paper laminated CIS issued to an individual over the age of eighteen (18) must be renewed five (5) years after the date of issuance.

Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS)

Another option for band members, both on and off reserve, is to apply for the “NEW” Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS) by mail. The SCIS application form and instructions for the application form is available online at the Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AANDC) website or you may contact the membership office for an application. AANDC is only issuing the “in Canada SCIS (Secure Certificate of Indian Status) card. If you would like to apply for the “NEW” SCIS card in person you can visit the AANDC Thunder Bay Regional office located on the Fort William First Nation at 100 Anemki Drive, Suite 101. Appointments for intake and processing of applications must be made by calling the Thunder Bay AANDC office at 1-807-623-3534 and they will advise and confirm what documents are required. There are new identification requirements when applying for the “NEW” Secure Certificate of Indian Status card.

To Apply In Person at Thunder Bay Regional Office and at the Red Rock Indian Band Office.

Registered Indians 16 years of age and older require:

  • 1 piece of valid identification

If your last name differs from that of your birth certificate you will need:

  • Copy of Marriage certificate(s) (if you have valid ID in your married name, other than a Certificate of Indian Status); or Original government issued marriage certificate(s) (if you do not have valid ID in your married name);


  • Legal change of name document

Valid Identification includes:

Only 1 of the following ID is required;

  • Canadian or United States Passport

  • Enhanced Driver’s License or Identification card

  • NEXUS or FAST card

  • Driver’s License (Provincial, Territorial or State)

  • Other government issued ID (Federal, Provincial, Territorial or State)

The valid identification must include name, photograph and the signature of the applicant, though not necessarily on the same document.

Registered Indians 15 years and under or Dependent Adults:

Parents or guardians must provide the following:

  • 1 piece of valid identification

  • One parent or guardian is required to sign application form

  • Marriage certificate or other name-linking documents (if parent ID has different last name than on child’s birth certificate or custody documents) AND

  • Legal guardians to provide documentation proving guardianship and/or trusteeship

Valid Identification includes:

  • Canadian or United States Passport

  • Enhanced Driver’s License or Identification Card

  • NEXUS or FAST card

  • Driver’s license (provincial, Territorial, or State)

  • Other government issued ID (Federal, Provincial, Territorial or State)

PLEASE NOTE: Individuals who have applied and/or obtained the “New” Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS) card cannot apply for the laminated Certificate of Indian (CIS) card. If the SCIS is lost, the person would have to cancel their SCIS card in order to obtain the CIS card. For more information please contact AANDC Regional Office at 416-973-7517


Your child/children are considered to be non-status until they are registered in the Indian Register.

Newborns are covered for Non-Insured Health Benefits under their status parent(s) until they turn one (1). This gives the parent(s) one year to register their child. If after a year the child is not registered, the Non-Insured Health Benefits: prescriptions, dental, glasses, etc. will not be covered.

Eligibility for registration

When Bill C-31 was passed in 1985 the Indian Act was amended and eligibility for registration changed significantly. There are registration categories that all status Indians are put in. You are either registered under category 6(1) or 6(2) and this category can determine whether your child is eligible for registration under the Indian Act.

Category 6(1): Your child will be status even if the other parent is non-status.

Category 6(2): Your child will only be IF the other parent is status.

Also, if there is only one parent on the birth certificate it is assumed the other parent is non-status and your child will only be entitled to registration if the one parent on the birth certificate is registered under the 6(1) category. The child would then be registered under the 6(2) category.

If you should have any questions as to your child/children's eligibility please contact the membership clerk at the Red Rock Indian Band Office.

Process for registration of Indian Status

1. Your child needs to be registered with the Province. If your child was born in Ontario this can be done through the Newborn Registration Service at

2. You will need to apply for the Certified Copy of Birth Registration, also known as the Long Form Birth Certificate. This can be done online at and can be ordered at the same time when you register your child with the province of Ontario. Or fill in the "Request for Birth Certificate" application form and check off "Certified Copy of Birth Registration (Long Form Birth Certificate) and mail to the Office of the Registrar with as $35.00 money order or cheque payable to the Minister of Finance.

3. When you receive the Certified Copy of Birth Registration (Long Form Birth Registration) bring this to the membership office located at 2 Gas Road, Lake Helen Reserve or print out the application below. The completed application must be filled out and signed by both parents if their names are on the Birth Certificate. The completed application along with the Certified Copy of Birth Registration (Long Form Birth Registration) can be sent by registered mail to:

Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada

Indian Registration

100 Anemki Drive, Suite 101

Fort William First Nation, ON

P7J 1A5

Note: Do not send in a copy of the Birth Certificate as this will not be accepted. The Birth Certificate will be returned to you once your child is registered.

For more information, contact the Membership Office at (807) 887-2510 ext. 234 or toll free at 1-877-887-2510 ext. 234

**Renewal of Status Card By Mail No Longer Available**

Gas Card Application


In order to apply for a Gas Card you must be 16 years of age and over. Applications are available through this office. A written request from the applicant must be mailed or faxed directly to the Ministry of Finance along with a legible copy of your valid status card (front and back).

Please include your telephone number, mailing address and reason for requesting the card.

Applicants who have not received their gas card within three weeks should contact the Ministry of Finance

Toll Free 1-866-ONT-TAXS (1-866-668-8297)

              1-800-263-7776 Teletypewriter (TTY)

              1-866-888-3850 Fax

For more information regarding gas cards and Gas Stations in Canada and Gas Stations on First Nations Reserves in Canada visit:

Treaty Payment Application

Treaty Payment Applications are available through our membership office, please email Majorie Robert.  You may also apply through Aboriginal Affairs Northern Development Canada.

Marriage, Divorce and Death Certificates

In order for us to update our records all Band Members are required to register their marriage. Please send a photocopy of your marriage certificate. Should your marriage end in divorce, please send a photocopy of your divorce papers. If and when you wish to report a death, a copy of the Death Certificate or funeral directors statement of death is required. 

Please Note: if you do not report your marriage or divorce, prolonged situations may occur.

Helpful Links