For RRIB Members Who Travel to the U.S.

Posted on December 5, 2017

You may want to apply for the Secure Certificate of Indian Status Card (SCIS) as they may not accept the laminate card (CIS).

Which status cards are accepted at border crossings into the United States?

United States border officials at land ports of entry, including ferry and lake crossings, may accept any version of the Secure Certificate of Indian Status (secure status card) and any version of the Certificate of Indian Status, provided they are not expired.

The Government of Canada cautions that the acceptance of these documents for border crossing into the United States is entirely at the discretion of the U.S. government. You will find a list of documents approved for entering the United States at Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

If you are entering the United States by air, you are still required to present a valid passport or, in certain circumstances, a NEXUS card.